Friday, November 6, 2009

Cherokee Roots


Retrospectively, I've discovered deep memories have been striving to come forth in clay. Recently felt an inexplicable draw to travel to North Carolina. I now feel my Cherokee roots are pushing and pulling me and are struggling to come forth. This past week I've read several books about Cherokee history and legends. One book I'm reading about legends is The Path to Snowbird Mountain, by Traveller Bird.

You might recall Spirit Bird, White Feather, Black Feather, and the piece I called Balance. I made these pieces before I did any reading about Native Americans. This week I read Native Americans see the world as dark and light and believe in achieving balance in their lives. A good warrior brave tries to achieve a balance between the forces of good and evil.


With time on my hands I am finding libraries are a wonderful resource. I picked up Lark's 500 Animals in Clay. What fun looking at all those sculptures.

I also found the library has a large print section for novels and I'm reading two authors this week, Richard Wheeler and Phyllis Whitney. Wheeler writes about the old West in the United States. I'm reading The Buffalo Commons and Where The River Runs by Wheeler. Cindy and Meredith please check out Feather on the Moon, by Whitney, an easy read mystery I think you'll both like. I love the title and once you see the dust jacket you'll see why I chose that particular novel of Whitney's to read first.


Meanwhile I have glaze ingredients on order and should be able to glaze my pieces next week. I'll be mixing my glazes with my paddle drill on the picnic table outside our RV. Wonder what folks will think I'm blending up? (Insert wicked laugh). Gary and I are also researching the various choices of where we might move, planning our trip, and doing a few repairs needed to make our vehicles safe. I'm moving into the 21st century slowly but surely, learning Windows 7, how to work without a mouse, and next up is Skype. I even chatted on facebook with Mary the other evening. I heard a beep and saw a window pop up. Who knew, not me till now.

The rusty truck photos were taken at the same location I took the Christine photo. Please let me know what you think by commenting, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

9 comments:

  1. I am always ready for a good book.
    I like your trucks.
    We once owned a 1956 ford pick up truck.
    We still miss him.
    Can't wait for you to follow your trail to NC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe fun Chatting online! Love the old trucks and interesting how clay and roots can combine...I remember the feather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Meredith, Phyllis Whitney has a lot of novels you might enjoy them. these trucks are bigger than a pickup, they are on the Tejon Ranch. I can't wait to leave either, just have to get my last few things glazed and a few repairs this weekend and then we head out. See you soon.

    Hi Mary, yeah it was such a surprise to hear from you I am learning something everyday. yeah the feather, I seem to find alot fo them - I think they are good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Linda,

    This post is very interesting! I once read about Crowfoot, a great hunter and brave warrior of the Blackfeet(Blackfoot?) in the province of Alberta, Canada. Ever since then, I sometimes read about Native Americans. Your book list is very helpful. Thank you for sharing!
    The last words of Crowfoot are very impressive! I always remember his words:

    What is Life?
    It is the flash of a firefly in the night.
    It is the breath of a buffalo in the winter time.
    It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

    Love the old trucks and sepia atmosphere!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sapphire, yes the legends of the firefly, buffalo and shadows are wonderful, Crowsfoot put it so well and you have outlined is so for us to remember - life is but the essence of the being or the essence of what is left of the being as they pass by fleetingly. I took the photos years ago and then discovered the snapshots and as I was packing I took a photo of the snapshot, which made them look somewhat ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rusty truck photos are wonderful. The top two on the post have such character!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patricia, thanks, I love old trucks too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i went through a long native american reading phase years ago... i eventually stopped because, sadly, i know how the story ends and it's not good. i particularly remember a book called "hanta yo"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jim, thanks I'll check it out. I regret that I never got much information from my father's side of the family on my heritage. I am pleasantly surprised to be enjoying Wheeler's, The Buffalo Commons, and will definitely check out your recommendation of hanta yo.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment