Saturday, January 20, 2018

Cassoulet

Cassoulet is a rich, slow-cooked casserole, containing meat (typically pork sausages, goose, duck and sometimes mutton), pork skin and white beans. Originating in the south of France, the dish is named after its traditional cooking vessel, the cassole, a deep, round, earthenware pot with slanting sides. I was watching a cooking show when this type of cooking utensil was mentioned and I just had to learn more. The photo is taken from an inactive etsy site; these are traditional French cassole pots.

I like how the edges of these cassole have a fat outside lip and the handles jut out only slightly, but not enough to break easily.  Also there is a small depression for pouring any liquid which might be left in the bottom. This shape bowl could be fashioned for breakfast cereal as well. Who doesn't like to drink any remaining cereal milk? I can see myself making some of these bowls with a pinch method and adding the lip from a flat strip of clay. Adding a section extra thick on opposing sides for the handles. I'd use my finger to depress outwards slightly to make the pouring part.

I seem to have developed a bit of a cold and I'm lacking in energy. But I can plan in my mind what to make next in the studio. Thanks for reading and for all your comment.

8 comments:

  1. I have never seen a casserole dish with sloping sides. I may have to investigate.
    I hope your cold is short-lived and your energy returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I have never either, I love to learn something new everyday.

      Delete
  2. Interesting...and of course the bowl would have to be quite thick to stand the thermal shock as shown in a fireplace, hot on one side, cold on the other. Glad you're not planning to cook that way! Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, the info said they are earthenware so not sure if that would make a difference, I have heard another potter puts pots on the grill, I'm not brave enough to do that, all I can do is imagine the pot cracking and all the food spoiled. I do use my ceramic fish poacher though and it works wonderfully.

      Delete
  3. I like the look of those.

    It's too hot here at present for casseroles of any description. Not a lot of cooking going on here by me...mostly just salads and lots of fresh fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, in summer I use my toaster oven and I have heard of folks using ceramic pots on the grill, have yet to try that.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment