Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Forbidden Rice


The other day when we were in Orlando we happened to drive by a farmer's market, along the shore of Lake Lily, so we stopped in. A vendor was selling black rice, formerly called forbidden rice in China; the rice was once reserved for Emperors. Recently it's become available to everyone.


I would never have noticed this black rice except one of my blogging buddies, Patti, happened to mention it on her blog some time ago. So I got a pound of it. I should have gotten more. Boy was it good, nutty and sweet. Thanks Patti, I love this rice.


I cooked up one cup which seemed to cook up to quite a lot of rice. Black rice is not the same as wild rice, although I believe it originated from a wild variety from Southeast Asian countries. This rice is very good for you too, due to the amino acids and antioxidants illustrated by the deep purple color exuding from the rice. If you can't find the rice locally, I believe you can order it on the net.


It occured to me I'm missing an opportunity every time I post photos of my recipes. I should be displaying the food on plates I've made, next time. This plate was an experiment from the last firing where I used two different colors of slip in a pattern. Since I used speckled stoneware with a clear glaze it gives the plate an ancient look, as if the pattern has worn off over time. There's an ever so slight warp to this plate, but the clear isn't cloudy. One of these days I'll get it all right, probably too thin. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

9 comments:

  1. I have tasted the rice- and it is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you gave it a whirl. Try putting fruit in it after cooking. Really good and so good for you. I like pineapple and or dried cranberries.
    Am pleased that the rat poop look didn't turn you off.:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds very yummy I will have to find some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love forbidden rice. I had it for the first time at a funky restaurant in Northampton, MA and immediately went to the store to find some. I love that nutty flavor and it's got substance, too. No Uncle Ben's for this girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to link your work with the recipes and cool food -never heard of Black Rice -it's beautiful! thanks for the lead :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This rice sounds really tasty and I will have to look for it. Nice plate, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rice look wonderful. I have never tried this type of rice but I bet it is quite tasty. Your plate has a nice weathered quality about the glaze. It was so nice to visit with you and merideth when you visited n.c. Hope you can stop by again when you are in the area. Thank you for all the great comments, it means alot to get feedback about what you are doing. Good luck with all your ceramic endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Meredith, thanks, I wish it wasn't so expensive; I like the Lundbert mixed variety rices too.

    Hi Patti, thanks, oh thanks I forgot that's what you had said before about this rice, good as a salad. I'll try it.

    Hi Troy, thanks, it is really good, you'll like it.

    Hi Shortstuff, thanks, my mom used to use Uncle ben's but there are so many other's that are much better like brown and wild too.

    Hi Cindy, thanks, I was thinking of a whole grouping I could do with food and ceramics, if only I had the time to do a cookbook with my ceramics and recipes.

    Hi Marguerite, thanks, yes you'd love this rice and I am sure you could put a Cajun spin on it. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jeff and Stephanie, thanks, I wish I lived closer to North Carolina, one of these day I'm sure I'll be back up there. I love your decal work and those tumblers were cool.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment