Saturday, October 4, 2014

North Georgia Candy Roaster

Look what I got at the farmer's market, a North Georgia Candy Roaster (winter squash). It's over two feet long and weighs about ten pounds. It's supposed to make a better pie than a pumpkin because it's real sweet and has a smooth texture. I'm going to cook it like a winter squash in the oven. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Since Mountain Regional Arts and Crafts Guild moved to their new location ArtWorks Artisan Center in Hiawassee they sold more art works than any previous month. I sold three pieces including Green Muse above which found a new home. Looks like I better get busy in the studio.

Today I'm going to take a short trip to the John C. Campbell Folk School to check out their Fall Festival. It's gone from a high of 80 yesterday to a high of 56 expected for today, yikes I better bundle up. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the sales, always a great boost to the ego.
    Your kiln space is looking terrific. I bet you're looking forward to completion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzi, thanks, so glad to make the sales in the new gallery, yes it does help give a boost and makes me want to make more. Some how it never seems to be complete. I make some work, make a big mess and clean and rearrange and then it starts all over again. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious about the squash, I have never seen one before.
    Congrats on the sales! Always nice to have checks arrive in the mailbox.
    I just looked at weather.com. We are going to reach a low 38 degrees tonight. I am not ready for that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sales make my heart sing. I guess you better get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michele, thanks, I have never seen this squash either. Georgia farmers seem to have some unique varieties I am having a great time trying. We are also getting a close to freeze, then it will go back up again next week. I have knee highs on this am.

    Hi Joanne, thanks, yes they make my heart sing too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for sales. And being able to get busy doing what you love - and are soooo good at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whahoo! Good for you selling. A new venue is always great...as well as new stuff going on in the studio! And I also want to say I like your new (to me cause I just noticed it) profile pic. We had a windy cool day with great sunshine here for our morning market, and plenty of visitors, (and sales too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard that most canned pumpkin pie filling is actually not pumpkin but another squash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations on the sale. Great to find such a good venue. We mostly use pumpkin as a savoury food here, either boiled and mashed with potato or cut into pieces and roasted. The only other cucurbits we regularly eat are zucchini or cucumbers for salads. So interesting how different countries relate to similar foods but use them in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue, thanks, nothing like a little time off to energize.

    Hi Barb, thanks, I got my hair cut just before we went on vacation and got blond streaks put in so I decided an update was called for.

    Hi Dennis, thanks, you are probably right about that, can't wait to try this squash to see what it tastes like, I am sure I'll have to freeze some; the think is huge.

    Hi Anna, thanks, we are so lucky to have a super farmer's market about a mile from us, I love trying new foods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cans of pumpkin are actually squash.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment