Sunday, May 24, 2015

Multicolored Experimental Results

Here is the multicolored bowl after firing. It fired much darker in the colors than I expected. As I mentioned before although the interior looks textured, it is actually very smooth.

I also used a rutile glaze on the reverse and wish I had just left it white or used a black glaze. This was one of the last pieces I glazed and sometimes at the end  when I'm tired I don't always make the right decision about which glaze to use. I find choosing the glaze is sometimes the most difficult decision for me.

Here's what the bowl looked like before firing so you can see the change in colors.

After I made the bowl above I had leftover colored clay and didn't want to waste it. I decided to make a purse shaped form. These purse shaped forms are good for flowers arrangements or potted plants. Maybe you don't see it as a purse but a cloth bag. It has that look to it, what do you say? The form got away from me and I pretty much obliterated (muddied) the lined colors but decided to fire it anyway. I didn't even glaze the exterior but left it natural. The form is about twelve by four inches.

But look at the interior. This is that same overlapping glaze combo I used on other pieces in this firing. Look how much gold I got. Too bad it's hidden in such an ugly duckling. Of course if I bring this to a sale, it will be the first piece someone wants to purchase. I learned a lot with this firing so each piece no matter if I like it or not is worthwhile in the scheme of things. Stay tuned I hope to have some bells to show you next week. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

10 comments:

  1. It's good glazing is a learning experience or else we would all go nuts! On second thought we may be there already.
    I think the bowl is successful, but I know what you mean about glazing when tired, but sometimes is goes the other way and becomes successful! Of course the best part of the glaze ended up inside the purse! As you say, it will probably be the first to go at a sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzi, thanks, yes nuts for sure; I am sure Gary would agree I a more than slightly batty. Ha. I will try more of the bowl technique, I think I can get some interesting patterns if I continue to play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite like the bowl, and also am quite familiar with not telling a customer my true opinion of the color or style of a piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, we are so critical of our own work and often have the opposite expectations but I can't tell you how many times the piece I hated the most was the one that sold first. Ha.

      Delete
  4. How lovely your forms are, and chalk up the glaze combos to another learning experience...I am always reminding myself this is a glass chemical which will turn another color after firing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, thanks, I can't wait to experiment with more using the multicolors, it's always a mystery when opening the kiln.

      Delete
  5. Linda, I actually like the way the bowl's glaze came out very much. So you see.. there's always someone who likes what you may not. And I do agree that glazing can be so undependable (for lack of a better word). Many times I love the piece in clay... and even in bisque... and then am so disappointed after glaze firing.
    And I too used leftover clay from a project that used extruded coils to make something just to not waste the coils. It ended up being one of my favorite pieces... so you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rian, thanks, you are so right about glazing being so undependable, I hope to get some more regular results and stick a few of them to be more consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Learning is like that. Taste is like that.
    I like that the purse/bag form is unglazed on the outside - it makes for a dramatic contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sue, thanks, definitely dramatic but not what I hope for, lol

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment