Saturday, October 1, 2016

Gluton Free Cornbread in Cast Iron Pan

Last time I made gluten free cornbread in a cast iron pan it wasn't quite cooked in the middle. This time it was perfect. Click the link for the recipe. This time I added one small can of diced mild green chilies to the batter. I preheated the oven to 425 F and melted the butter in the pan. (I increased the butter to 4 tablespoons). I cooled the butter slightly and added it to the mixed ingredients. I poured the cornbread mixture into the cast iron pan, placed it in the oven and turned down the heat to 375 F and baked it for 35 minutes.

Cooking cornbread in a cast iron pan makes all the difference. The cornbread develops a nice brown crust but is extremely moist on the inside. That's how my grandmother baked cornbread. This cornbread will keep on the counter covered for up to four days without refrigeration. Above is one of the matt glazed leaf dishes I've been using to test the matt (not shiny) glaze. So far the matt glazed leaf dish is performing well with many, many uses with various acidic foods and numerous cycles through the dishwasher. I just realized these leaf dishes are perfect for bread and butter plates.

After the farmer's market today, I am almost completely sold out of leaf plates and mini vases and several serving bowls. Thank you to all of you for your support of my pottery endeavors. I brought a group of my new driftwood baskets to the market and they were very well received.  I even have a future commission for a very large driftwood basket and several other commission pieces. More about those later. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

9 comments:

  1. Cornbread in the frying pay is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, yes it sure is, I didn't like it in the muffin papers.

      Delete
  2. Triple triumph.
    Sales, commissions AND perfect corn bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, the peppers make it so moist.

      Delete
  3. You know, Linda, my family used cast iron for cooking a lot. I don't... but that is because it's so heavy! I recently bought a magazine called, "Southern Cast Iron" and loved it. Pictures and recipes were great. May try again... with a small cast iron skillet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, you are right I have a hard time picking up that pan with one hand, I am glad I have the opposing handle on the pan, it really helps.

      Delete
    2. oh Rian that book sounds interesting I may pick it up too

      Delete
  4. Looks scrumptious and I will have to try it. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marguerite, thanks, the buttermilk and the green chili peppers make all the difference in the recipe

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment