Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Fire Roasted Pepper Soup

Remember I had so many peppers and didn't know what do with them. I decided to roast them on the BBQ.  I was going to freeze them, but I decided to make a fire roasted pepper soup. After I roasted the peppers I peeled the skins from the peppers. I sauteed an onion, chopped the peppers added them, half a cup of lentils, and enough water to cook till blended. I added salt, pepper, thyme, a dash of balsamic vinegar, a dash, worcestershire sauce, and two tablespoons of sugar.

After cooking for an hour or so I tasted the soup. It was too thick and strong in pepper flavor (photo below) so I cooked 4 medium, peeled and chopped potatoes. I blended the whole mixture in a blender till smooth. When I blended the potatoes I had to add some whole milk to get them to blend. If mixture is too thick, you can also add some of the potato cooking water.
This soup is quite delicious. The poblano peppers add just enough heat to the soup; it was quite delightful. Just think of the nutrition of all these peppers in one soup. The peppers I roasted were poblano, carmen, and shishito.
When I harvest more peppers (yes there are more growing) I'll roast, skin, and freeze them. In the middle of winter when it's frosty and cold I'll make a batch of this soup and it will warm us heartily. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Now, that does sound very delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee, thanks, who knew I could make a pepper soup, have an abundance and get creative, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like roasted red pepper soup... but not sure I could take the heat of your peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, the red pepper soup might be more appealing in color that's for sure. only the poblanos are warm, the shishito and carmen are not at all.

      Delete
  4. Soups are an excellent thing. I have some I made earlier frozen in the freezer, waiting for a night when I don't want to cook and do want a tasty dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks our freezer is so small (side by side) I'd like to have a separate freezer but alas no money to freeze more fresh meals but maybe some day.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment