Saturday, September 15, 2018

Cherokee Festival

Today there's a Cherokee Festival in Hayesville NC, not far from us. I'll be at the farmer's market till 1 pm but hope to catch the end of the festival. Above is a wall pocket with Cherokee rose flowers. I noticed mine growing at the bottom of the driveway has lost all it's leaves. I hope it isn't dead.

My grandmother told me her mother came from Georgia on the Trail of Tears. I hope to one day find some of my relatives in this area. Recently in my filing I rediscovered a family tree my father wrote back in the 1980s. That's about all I have of any information on relatives. One of my relative's last name is listed as Turnipseed. One day Gary and I drove by a location near Blue Ridge called Turnipseed.

Sadly, my mother and father never talked about their heritage to my siblings or me. They were both very secretive about much too much. My parents have long since passed and I am still left wondering.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the folks in the path of hurricane Florence. We expect to get our rain from the storm tomorrow. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

7 comments:

  1. Love the wall vase. It looks perfect; I always like seeing pots in use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, I do too and I don't post them often enough.

      Delete
  2. Many of our parents decided to disinherit their ancestors...mine also. Glad my grandmother lived long enough to give me some information, and my grandfather Rogers got to copy the Rogers Family Bible.
    I think you can sign up for Ancestry for free for the first 30 days...and just by entering your known relations, you might get a bit of further info. You don't even have to do the DNA test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, oh I didn't not I could get that for free, will give it a try, thanks so much, sad when we get old we want to know but too late to ask what we should have when we were young.

      Delete
  3. Like you, I know almost nothing about my ancestors. My father made an oyster look garrulous and my mother lied.
    The wall vase is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, you and I have a lot in common then, sad but we must focus on the beauty to keep ourselves sane then.

      Delete
  4. I hope you find the answers you are seeking, Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment