Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Last of the Basil

With frosty nights this week, Gary quickly harvested the last of my basil. This is two plants and with pinching all season long, they had grown quite tall. I got a huge pot full of basil leaves from these plants. I grew the basil in the pepper raised bin and the peppers shaded the basil and helped with a long and prolific harvest season.
There was enough basil to make four batches of pesto (above is one batch). I like my pesto rough chopped so I hand chopped the ingredients. First I chop the basil chiffonade style and added olive oil to keep it from browning. To further prevent oxidation of the leaves you can add a dash of rice wine vinegar or a small amount of lemon juice. Next I chopped very fine a generous amount of garlic.
Then I chopped pine nuts (walnuts can be substituted) and grated some parmesan cheese. I cooked gluten free noodles al dente, added the pesto, then tossed in the chopped pine nuts and parmesan. If you plan to freeze the pesto, leave out the nuts and parmesan and add them when you use the pesto. As I'm typing this I'm thinking I should make a pesto, fresh tomato, goat or feta cheese pizza. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Linda...your pesto (and photos) look and sound delicious. And a pizza would be pretty darn good too. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb, thanks, I lucked out this summer with all my produce, so tasty, freezing some for later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like pesto... and have eaten home-made many times, but have never tried to make my own. Does seem simple. And the pizza sounds great (but I'd use feta as I'm not fond of goat cheese).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rian, thanks, it really is simple to make, it takes the longest to boil the noodles, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love basil. And pesto.
    On this side of the world I have just planted basil. Multiple plants - which may not be enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, this year is the first time here that my basil has done anything, the bins must have helped.

      Delete
  6. I used to grow a lot of herbs once upon a time...but no longer do I do so....long story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, all my other herbs are perennial so I don't have to plant them but the basil is an annual and I picked it just in time.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment