Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Spicey Cranberry Sauce

Here's a twist to the traditional overly sweet cranberry sauce, spicy cranberry sauce. Saute one shallot chopped fine and a one inch square of fresh ginger grated fine in one tablespoon of olive oil till fragrant. Next add 1 teaspoon each of mustard seed, anise seed, fennel seed, cinnamon, and a couple of pinches of salt, and a dash or more of red pepper flakes. Stir constantly and cook a minute or so then add 1 3/4 cup of water and 1 3/4 cup of light brown sugar. Cook this mixture till it reduces to 2/3 volume. Add two 12 ounce packages of fresh cranberries (discard soft ones) and cook till they pop. Taste and add more red pepper flakes if needed. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of golden raisins. When mixture cools add one tablespoon of freshly grated orange rind. Refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours before serving. I adapted this recipe from Vogue.
a wild turkey in my California garden.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

4 comments:

  1. My sweet tooth is decidedly savoury. This would go really well with a simple cheese sandwhich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the delete, I pressed send before correcting a typo :( What I wanted to say was this looks delicious Linda. I have already made my cranberry relish but I am going to keep this for the next time I need a recipe. Thanks so much and Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. love the turkey picture!

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment