Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Making and Drying Work

I actually have been making work and drying work for the December sale. See the bowl on the middle shelf on the right; check the next photo.
After drying these on the back solarium I was able to remove the bowl from the stainless form in one day. I usually let these dry for several weeks, but I am trying to get all of these dry before next week. (The foam on the outside of the bowl is placed there for the times when I use this form draping clay over the outside of the bowl. This time I used the inside of the bowl).
Then I can do a bisque fire and quickly get a glaze fire in before December 1st. These are pinch bowls I make with the leftover clay. I let the amount of the size of the clay balls of clay dictate the size of the pinch bowls.
I was surprised at how well they sold so I am making more. The low ones are great for cat food bowls. I see the bowl on the right has my finger prints on the outer edge, too late to smooth them now. That's all part of the handmade quality of these bowls. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Nice variety of work! It sounds like you have deloped a safe way to dry pots quickly.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! 🩃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, as long as I make sure they are not in the direct sunlight in the solarium.

      Delete
  2. Not surprised they sell well - and hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, not sure how well the December market will be attended since it's supposed to be cold and rainey, we shall see.

      Delete
  3. These look really neat. I remember taking a pottery class once and loved the feel and molding of the clay. Of course, my pitiful attempt was nothing like these, lol! These are pretty bowls and the thumbprint would add to its uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise, thanks, it takes a lot of practice to make the pinch bowls but it is satisfying to make them, my hands get into a rhythm of pinch, pinch, pinching.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment