Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Green Tomato Chutney

Remember the green tomatoes I picked the other day? I finally got around to making some green tomato chutney. I had some doubts about the green tomatoes because they were so hard. But they cooked up nicely.
Basic recipe is green tomatoes, granny smith apples, onion, garlic, golden raisins, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, turmeric, salt, pepper, dash of cayenne pepper. Use equal parts vinegar to sugar. Cook about 30 minutes and fill jars to half an inch from top. Refrigerate when cool or cook in water bath to seal. I also added a few sweet peppers Gary had picked. In other news a lot of rain is streaming in from the gulf. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a tasty recipe. One of the things I have missed with having to forego gardens the last few years is the goodies I made with green tomates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzi, thanks, I have never had green tomatoes before; I am so glad Gary picked them and I used them. These raised bins make a few plants much more bountiful and easier to pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this delicious recipe Linda. I tried fried green tomatoes for the first time last year and haven't looked back. Never cooked them myself but tasted them at the Mount Vernon Tavern. Do you have a recipe for them on here somewhere? I would love to try and fix them at home. Enjoy your day and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You chutney looks delicious, Linda. I hope all is well...take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise, thanks, check the last paragraph, I used about 4 cups of cider vinegar and same amount of light brown sugar and about a teaspoon of the spices listed. My large stock pot was about three quarters full of the bulk ingredients. I cooked it for 30 minutes and then ladled into jars and when cool refrigerate it. We just had some on pork loin and it is delicious and not sweet at all. I guess because the green tomatoes were quite hard and therefore probably very bitter = it all worked out wonderfully. 87

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment