Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Cornish Game Hens

The Cornish game hens came out delicious. Something I didn't know is they are not game, they are just a small chicken. Preheat oven to 450 F. Stuff each bird with 1/4 lemon, chopped garlic cloves and powdered rosemary and one sprig fresh rosemary. Truss up wings and legs. Brush outside with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I rubbed the glass baking dish with oil so the drippings wouldn't stick. Place hens on rack in baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes at 450 F then turn down heat to 350 F and bake another 30 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in thigh is 165 F. Last 30 minutes I basted the hens with store bought turkey stock.

Remove from oven and place on platter and cover with foil. Use basting liquid and drippings to make a brown gravy. The hens were absolutely delicious and very juicy. I forgot to take a photo of the gluten free dressing made in a separate baking dish and sauteed snow peas. Those will be in the next post because of course we have left overs. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Your little hens look delicious. We enjoyed our duck so much that I forgot to photograph it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzi, thanks, did you bake your duck, one holiday I had goose or duck and it splattered the oven so much, never again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proge did the duck on the charcoal grill. YUM!

      Delete
    2. Hi Suzi, thanks, that's a much better idea than in the oven, will give that a try if I ever do a duck again.

      Delete
  3. Lemon stuffing is excellent isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, thanks, yes, I suspect that helped keep them so moist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious, Linda.

    I had roast chicken, ham and various roasted vegetables, along with steamed broccoli, cauliflower and spinach...and gravy, of course.

    Remy and Shama had shared the chicken with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lee, thanks, Bonkers jumped up on the table and had leftovers with Gary, lol, we still have more to eat tomorrow too, I like it because I don't have to cook again.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment