Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Maija Grotell

Watching the antiques roadshow I learned of the Finnish American potter Maija Grotell. I decided to  research her work since I had not heard of her work previously.
Looking at her work I realize the study of past and present history should always be part of a learning process for any endeavor.
Maija Grotell (1899-1973) born in Finland and immigrated to the United States after college. She eventually obtained a teaching position at Cranbrook Academy of Art in Michigan and went on to develop her studio practice.
She had much influence in the ceramics world and is described as "the mother of American ceramics". Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, thank you for introducing me to Maija Grotell. She creates beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, yes I was surprised I never heard of her.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work...thanks for sharing this info, Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, amazing successful woman

      Delete
  3. Lovely pots.. she was certainly talented

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna, thanks, I read that most were doing hand building then and she revolutionized thrown work. ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment