Saturday, January 26, 2019

Havarti Potatoes Au Gratin

I had a craving for potatoes and decided to make potatoes au gratin. Looking in the refrigerator I only had havarti cheese. I decided to go for it. The potatoes were so delicious I forgot to take photos so I have borrowed these photos to wet your appetite.
Basically I sauteed half an onion chopped fine. I made a rue and added two cups of milk and added in the onions and cooked till thickened. I sliced my potatoes and grated my havarti cheese. I alternated pouring the milk mixture with layers of potatoes and grated cheese in a oiled baking dish. To each layer I sprinkled salt, pepper, and a dash of nutmeg.
On top I added a bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese and then sprinkled the top with gluten free bread crumbs. I baked at 350 F covered for 45 minutes and 15 minutes uncovered. Oh these were so delicious. Do you make scalloped or au gratin potatoes? What kind of cheese do you use?

The other day I woke up and my elbow was out of commission. It was extremely painful. I must have slept on it wrong or hyper extended it somehow. This morning it's much better thank goodness. Meanwhile we are in a deep freeze here. One day next week it won't even get above freezing. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

10 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call "comfort food." Sounds delicious, and I haven't made au gratin potatoes in so long, I wish I had a serving right now. But then there would be all those left overs, so I'd be eating them for a week. So I'll satisfy my craving with a baked potato for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, thanks, couldn't you make a small batch or wonder if it will freeze well ? maybe have a stuffed baked potatoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your elbow is better. I often add onion (and sometimes garlic) to my roux. Not even thinking about anything au gratin till our weather cools down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I know what you mean, I never turn on my oven all summer long.

      Delete
  4. It does look tasty but certainly a winter dish.. glad your elbow is better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Anna, thanks, something to remember for winter for sure.

      Delete
  5. We love potatoes au gratin here. But I’ve never made them with Havarti cheese... and I do like Havarti! Usually use a cheddar or Mexican combination. May have to try that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rian, thanks, sometimes what is in the cabinet or refrigerator elicits a wonderfully palatable recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no.. I hope your elbow feels better.
    The potatoes look great!

    https://henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hena, thanks, the potatoes were delicious, elbow back to normal, wish I knew why it happens. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment