Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Planning for Summer Vegetables

 rossa di trevino radicchio
It's going to be the coldest day of the year and
 I'm planning for summer vegetables. The snow is almost here. 
I like to plant varieties I can't get at the grocery store.
 I've never had radicchio but I've heard it's delicious.
 Chinese red noodle beans
These beans are supposed to keep their red color
and be quite prolific.
 black nebula carrots
The deep color of these carrols are full of antioxidants.
sorrel
I grew sorrel in Arkansas and made sorrel soup,
I'm looking forward to that soup again..
gourds
I've always wanted to grow gourds, need to build a trellis.
We shall see if I can get organized for that.
shishito peppers
Grew these last summer and they're delicious
and prolific so why not grow them again.
Juliet tomatoes
Have grown these every year and love them.

Next week it will warm up quite a bit so not too early to get organized.
 Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for homegrown vegies - and garden planning. Radicchio is slightly bitter and I think lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, if you roast radicchio it isn't as bitter and my next post talks about it's nutritional value and I was amazed.

      Delete
  2. I used to love large fresh creole tomatoes (or that's what we called them in New Orleans) - they were so 'flavorfull'. Tomatoes at the grocery seem to have no taste these days. But your picture of the little Juliet tomatoes reminded me that the smaller tomatoes do seem to hold more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rian, thanks, I have been growing the Juliet tomatoes since California. They are larger than a cherry and less juicy more like a baby roma. Cut in half they are perfect for salads and they hold up well even when tossed. I only purchase tomatoes at the grocery rarely; luckily our farmers market has them all summer long, but not many small tomatoes only the larger ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across a recipe the other day for pesto made from the fresh leaves of carrots. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment