Thursday, January 31, 2019

Radicchio is a Nutritional Powerhouse

We did a taste test on roasted radicchio and we both agreed it was delicious. Cut the small head in half and the halves into thirds. Brush with olive oil and bake about 30 minutes at 400 F.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle a little balsamic vinegar and perhaps some grated parmesan cheese.
In my previous post I was making a list of vegetables to grow this summer. For taste and nutrition I'll keep radicchio on the list. Radicchio is a nutritional powerhouse. Click this link for the health benefits of radicchio. If you are lacking in Vitamin K this vegetable should be high on your list. It contains 212% of your daily requirement. Vitamin K is good for the bones and the brain and has been used in the treatment of Alzheimer's. Up next Turkey Papaya Salsa Wraps, along with more nutritional information. Don't forget tomorrow is the first day of the month. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

4 comments:

  1. So many of the forgotten/less common vegies are both taste and nutritional powerhouses. I suspect our ancestors often ate better than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, apparently radicchio is more common in Europe than here in the USA. I hope I am successful growing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not been cooking very much at all of late...It's been too hot for hot meals...so raw and fresh it's been...and mostly fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee, thanks, probably coming to our area very soon, although we don't get many overly hot temps, I can relate because in California, it was blistering; I did all my gardening there before 9 am

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment