Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Nap Time

After a hard day catching lizards on the screen porch, Bonkers is taking a much needed nap.
 Bonkers: Look what I caught, please let me in so I can show you. Me: Sorry, no.
 Bonkers: Look at my catch, please let me in .Me: Sorry, no way.
Bonkers: I have him cornered; how can you keep me out when I want to show you what a good hunter I am. Me: Eat him and then you can come in.
I made refrigerator pickles with my baby cucumbers. I adapted my own recipe to the following. Slice cucumbers medium thin. Chop 1/4 onion fine, 2 garlic cloves fine, and a red bell pepper medium fine and place in a large glass casserole dish.
Put one half a cup of white vinegar, half a cup of white sugar, one teaspoon each of cumin, coriander, salt, turmeric, mustard seed, dill, allspice in a saucepan. Add red pepper flakes (to your taste preference). Boil vinegar sugar spice mixture for 15 minutes, pour over vegetables.
 Let cool and refrigerate for three days. These pickles will keep in the refrigerator for one month. These are so delicious, crisp and colorful. We eat them like we would a salad. Next time I might add celery, carrots, and corn to make a rendition of a chow chow. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

5 comments:

  1. Great photos of your little hunter pal. Enjoy the pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, thanks, I hate to see the poor little lizards in his mouth squirming, but what can I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonkers is lovely. I have been hard-hearted in exactly the same way as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, thanks, one day last week we didn't notice he had one and let him in, now we are checking closely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonkers is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment