Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Coconut Shrimp with Spicy Cilantro Pineapple Sauce

For months I wanted to make coconut shrimp and I finally did. Dredge the shrimp in cornstarch, then frothy egg whites and then in coconut. I used flaked coconut but shredded would have been better. It was the only unsweetened coconut I could find.
I put the breaded shrimp on a wire rack and baked them for 20 minutes in a preheated 375 F oven till golden brown.
For the dipping sauce I used 3/4 cup if cilantro leaves, one small can of pineapple drained well, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Blend in a blender till smooth. I'm going to remember this dipping sauce; it was that good. And of course the shrimp were good too but a lot of work to prepare them. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. You lost me at cilantro. I loathe the leaves and the taste they leave in my mouth. Seeds yes. Leaves no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Sue, thanks, you could probably substitute tomatillos.

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to make coconut shrimp for a long time too. This looks delicious. I am also looking forward to trying your dipping sauce. Thanks Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise, thanks, try to get shredded coconut instead of flaked, flaked is too large to get it to adhere, although I was surprised it did adhere pretty well with the beaten frothy egg whites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. coconut thing is delicious for me....yummy
    thank you for recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi tanza, thanks, I do love coconut as well it often seems so rich, now I am wondering if it is high in calories.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment