Friday, July 19, 2019

Seared Okra with Tomatoes and Onions

My second batch of okra needed to be eaten but my cherry tomatoes also needed to be used. What to do? Why not try them together in a recipe..
 I chopped the okra and half an onion.
Here are two bowls of my tomatoes ripe this week. Sun Gold Cherry and Juliet tomatoes. By the way these Sun Gold tomatoes are delicious. they are smaller than a regular cherry tomato so easy to pop in your mouth for a snack without tomato juice squirting everywhere..
 cut the Sun Golds in half and the Juliets in quarters. Juliet tomatoes are like a roma and firm but smaller in size.
Meanwhile I seared the okra in a lightly oiled pan on high heat till edges were starting to brown, turning occasionally to keep them from burning. I removed the okra and sauteed the chopped onions. I added the okra back in the pan after the onions were translucent along with the chopped tomatoes. I turned down the heat to medium added salt and pepper and a dash of white balsamic vinegar and a couple of squirts of catsup. (I would have used tomato paste but didn't want to open a whole can for this recipe and I was out of tomato paste in a tube). The okra and tomatoes were delicious together.

Tomorrow I'll be at the farmer's market in the morning. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. I adore fresh tomatoes. And don't remember ever having had okra.
    Hope the market goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, you should try some okra and see how you like it, it has a distinctive flavor

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's years since I've had okra. I never see it in the stores here....it's probably more likely to be found in roadside stalls further north in the state.

    This looks very tasty, Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee, thanks, so tasty we had it again yesterday. Ha. It's easy to grow and has beautiful flowers that look like a hibiscus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh not a okra fan but I do make a spicy version for my husband on rare occasions.. he likes them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hena, thanks, spicy is always good.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment