Friday, October 18, 2019

Bisque, Glaze, New Clay

This week I've done a bisque load, glazed all the pieces, and loaded for a glaze load. I planned to fire the glaze load today but it was the coldest day thus far this year. Normally that wouldn't matter but the electric company completed an analysis on my electric usage and why my kiln will not rise in temperature when my HVAC is on. Apparently my ancient HVAC is on it's last legs. So I must fire when my system is in the off position. Even when the HVAC is not putting out heat or air, it's on standby which draws quite a bit of power. So Sunday being a warmer day is better to fire. In this load I have a couple of these shell bowls glazed in a darker blue. The bowl above is from my college days.
Tomorrow will probably be a rain out at the farmers market. We plan to reduce our booth size and not use tall items. The market is covered with a roof system, but in high winds it tends to be a wind tunnel. In this load I also have some of these cracker, appetizer trays. I switched clay type again because Laguna Clay stopped making Maccabee saying B Mix is the same, and Stone Mountain went out of business. When I looked at the absorption and shrinkage rates I saw Maccabee and B Mix are really not the same. So I have switched to a clay called Elizabeth's blend. We shall see how this work turns out with the new clay. Wish me luck. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. It's so difficult for me, now that I've become used to one clay type, to switch to another. I understand your difficulty. I'm settled in with Little Loafers by Highwater in Asheville, but it's sure had some bumps in the years I've used it, either too wet, or too hard at time. But it's pretty good for my throwing or hand building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I just typed a response and it was lost, geez, little loafers cracked a lot for me and wasn't a good fit for my glazes. I like my clay soft it can always harden up a little bit after removing from the bag.

      Delete
  2. Good luck - and I really hope the markets go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, the market was cold windy and rainy, a few sales but not great. We did get home before the big rains though.

      Delete
  3. Changing clay bodies is fine when it’s your choice and you are free to experiment. It’a Royal PITA when the change is forced upon you.
    Like the little trays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzi, thanks, I was so disappointed with Stone Mountain closing without any notice so I couldn't stock up and then to learn a previous clay is no longer made, we shall see. I was surprised those little trays sell well; I think shapes not found routinely are sought after by folks who entertain.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment