Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Spotted Sea Trout with Tequila Lime Sauce

Years ago after a dusty jeep trip in the backcountry, in a desert sunset lit sky we saw a restaurant billboard in Bishop, California saying today's special is fresh caught trout with tequila lime sauce. We had to stop and partake. The trout was absolutely delicious and memorable. All these years later, actually, decades later, I am revisiting a cherished memory through my cooking. This feat is possible because we just found a new source to obtain fresh seafood in our mountainous neck of the Georgia woods.
Today I am making wild caught spotted sea trout, Cynoscion nebulosus, with tequila lime sauce. While the trout is drying on paper towels I make the sauce. Other recipes I researched said to use white tequila but Gary bought gold tequila. When cooking I adapt and use what I have. I finely chop one shallot, zest one lime, juice two limes and measure out 3/4 cup of tequila. I put two tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and saute the shallots till soft, I add in the lime juice and then tequila. I cook the mixture till the tequila is reduced and alcohol is vaporized. At this point you can set the sauce aside and wait till you are ready to plate the trout.
Meanwhile examining my trout I imagine these fillets lend themselves to being stuffed. Hum, what recipe could I develop for that idea.
I place the trout in a hot frying pan with an olive oil and butter mixture to saute. Resist flipping them over till they are brown on one side. Then only flip them over once. The trout takes only about 5 minutes on one side and three minutes on the other side. Set the trout aside to rest. Add some heavy cream to the sauce. If the sauce isn't thick enough add one teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with just enough water to make a slurry. Place sauce down on the plate first then place trout on top. You want to keep the skin of the trout crispy. I garnished the trout with some sliced red shishito peppers. The trout was delicious but I think the trout in Bishop was better, perhaps my memory enhanced that meal in mind. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, and congrats on a fresh fish source. I love mine at our Tailgate Market, and was eating Scotland farmed-salmon on Saturday night...it's farmed in the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I have had the Scotland salmon which Gary likes but I prefer the more firm Alaskan salmon.

      Delete
  2. That sounds and looks delicious! Your sauce sounds like it would be good on many kinds of fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, thinking back I think the sauce in Bishop didn't have cream in it, next time.

      Delete
  3. I suspect that sauce would be good on lots of dishes. Hooray for being able to revisit a treasured memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, thanks, funny how ancient memories come back at the oddest of times.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment