Friday, October 11, 2019

Drying Slowly

In the studio several large pieces are drying slowly. This one is about 17 inches tall. Of course it will dry and fire slightly smaller. After firing I'll be adding some type of embellishment of driftwood, beach stone, or some item that strikes me to this piece and the next two.
I had to close the air vent to be sure it didn't blow on this piece since it's sitting right below it. This isn't the really large one I teased you with previously. This one is only about 12 x 12 inches. These large round pieces are a bit heavy to pick up, but they will dry less heavy. Perhaps I should have put some handles on this and the other larger one. I am not sure what shape handle or what the piece would look like with a handle. Maybe a casserole type of handle where one would put their fingers under a curved shape? Any thoughts?
This one is about 12 inches or so tall. Start to finish as greenware it takes me about 3-4 hours to make one of these pieces. These are definitely labors of love.
 Here are a couple of scallop shaped bowls drying nicely.
I sold out of my sponge holders so I made a few more. One woman wanted one with holes in the bottom but I am reluctant to do that. I usually squeeze out a sponge really well before letting it dry so I don't see the need for drain holes. What do you think?

I'll be at the farmer's market on Saturday morning. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

9 comments:

  1. Good to see you feeding your creative spirit as well as thinking of next practical things...nope, no need for holes under sponges, I'd think. But I've never made one, actually! Nor do I use sponges...rather dish cloths (crocheted or knitted) or rags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, thanks, I don't use sponges either in the kitchen too many germs can lurk in damp crevices. I do use a sponge in the studio but it just dries lying on the table top; but customers keep requesting them so I am making them cause every little bit of income helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are intriguing pieces.
    Speaking as someone whose hands prevent me squeezing out a sponge as well as I would like, I opt for holes. Could you try offering both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I am all for making items user friendly, I will try both, thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  4. Linda, I use both cloths and Dobie sponges in the kitchen. I put my dobie sponges in the microwave to kill germs. But I don't use sponge dishes either... just squeeze the sponge out. However, I do put holes in the bottom of my soap holders when I make them... keeps the soaps from sitting in water and getting soft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rian, thanks, I make my soap dishes highly textured so the water sits in the grooves and the soap on top of the grooves. I can barely keep up with what I make let alone two different styles, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are interesting pieces, Linda. Very nice.

    The monthly markets are on today at the showgrounds across the way from here where I live. I don't go...I'll remain ensconced in my cabin with my head buried in the Sunday newspaper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lee, thanks, how come you don't go to the market, so much to see and fresh veges I assume? but then again the Sunday newspaper in a cabin I see the draw to that too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is fun to see your pieces mid process. I use dish clothes that a friend made for me, and sponges. I pour boiling water over the sponges and just have to remember not to pick them up immediately :) I also microwave them and I throw my dish clothes in the washer with the cycle on hot water. Not sure about the handle on your pieces. They look so nice without.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment