Tuesday, December 17, 2019

If a tree falls in a forest

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? I can attest to the fact that, yes indeed, it does make a sound. I was sitting at my desk looking at pottery texture tools when I heard what sounded like a huge explosion that actually shook our windows. Bonkers was on the front deck screen room and he immediately ran to the door desperate to come in. I let him in and he ran under the bed scared to death. I called my neighbors to ask if they had heard anything like an explosion. They said they didn't hear anything.
A while later I was standing at the kitchen sink. I always look out the window when I am at the sink. Then I noticed this tree had snapped off close to the ground and hit our deck. The tree died this year and we didn't think it would hit our house because it wasn't tall enough to reach. It hit two of my bins near the rosemary plant. The tree wasn't that tall, although at the base it's about a foot in diameter. I imagine birds and animals, even insects could hear this tree hitting the ground. I can't imagine what it must sound and feel like if a large tree hits a home, let alone, a tornado. We were lucky compared to many others with the recent bout of storms in our country. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

7 comments:

  1. Of course it makes a sound. And while there may not be people around to hear it, there are always critters.
    Glad that you and your house escaped. Poor Bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, glad it didn't do any damage and Bonkers recovered nicely. wish people could recover quick as animals to trauma.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sure do make a sound. Across the lane here where I live is a vacant block of land...about five or six acres in total. There have been times I've heard the creaking, groaning and then loud thump of a dead tree crash to the ground. I've even automatically cringed and ducked when hearing the process begin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee, thanks, when we lived in California a huge ceder tree went through our neighbors house and knocked it off it's foundation and it was a single story, we had the task of calling them and letting them know, they were at work. their refrigerator was pushed completely into the ground, scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must have been a startling experience and your poor Bonkers must have been terrified. Glad to hear it missed your house and I hope your deck wasn't damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad it was more noise than damage by the look of things. Merry Christmas to you and yours, hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment