Friday, December 13, 2019

The 12 Days of Christmas

On the twelfth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
12 Drummers Drumming
Eleven Pipers Piping
Ten Lords a Leaping
Nine Ladies Dancing
Eight Maids a Milking
Seven Swans a Swimming
Six Geese a Laying
Five Golden Rings
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree


I was going to write something about Friday the 13th but I realized it's the 12th day of Christmas and this song is so appealing. There was a cold moon last night but it was cloudy so I didn't see it.
In other news I made a big pot of turkey soup. I had two fresh turkey thighs. I removed the skin and browned the thighs in a separate pan to hopefully remove excess fat and set them aside. Meanwhile in a large stock pot I sauteed one onion, three stalks of celery and four carrots all chopped fine (soup size). I added 8 to 10 cups of water and spices of oregano, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. After the soup had simmered for an hour or so I added the turkey thighs to the broth whole. When the thighs were cooked through I removed them and cut the meat off the bone into small pieces. I put the bones back in the soup and added three large red potatoes chopped into soup sized pieces. When the potatoes were soft I removed the bones and added the chopped turkey back in at the end so as not to overcook it.

By the way it takes a shorter amount of time to cook the turkey legs in the soup than it does to bake them (maybe about 30 minutes) I checked the internal temperature of the thigh at the thickest part with an instant meat thermometer (165 F). Thanks for reading and for all your comments. (images borrowed from the net). 

8 comments:

  1. My last crock pot soup became very bland when I cooked it long enough for the potatoes to get tender, so I plan to boil them separately next time. I am glad to have a frozen quart of it though, which is thawing for enjoying today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, the spices and the bones make the difference, and if you have them fresh herbs are even better.

      Delete
  2. Looks good on a wet cold day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, thanks, it was wet and cold today, I can't comment on your blog any more, something is broken and I am too limited in computer lingo to figure it out.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I have ever seen turkey soup - perhaps because turkey is a 'high days and holidays' dish here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, thanks, we are lucky our grocery always has fresh turkey parts in the poultry season and the thighs are the least expensive with the most meat ratio to the bones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed reading the 12 Days of Christmas again. It's getting to feel more festive around here too :) Thank you for the turkey soup recipe. Looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise, thanks, we don't do much for the holidays here as no relatives or children but I do like music and am happy to see others celebrate. We don't dare put up a tree because our cat would demolish it, lol

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment