Sunday, February 16, 2020

Lamb Shank Stew

Lamb is one meat I love but it's so expensive. Why, I wonder. I suppose it's because cattle ranchers don't like sheep herders. They're in competition with one another for grazing land. But at the grocery store recently I saw that lamb shank is much less expensive than other cuts of the  lamb so I got one. I decided to cook up a stew with the shank.
I browned the lamb shank and set it aside. Then I continued with a mirepoix of diced onion, celery and carrots added to the pan. I sauteed the vegetables till they were soft. Next I added some red wine to deglaze the pot drippings. I added one small can of whole tomatoes which I cut up. Of course I added the usual spices and herbs, salt, pepper, thyme, cloves and perhaps others you might prefer. I let the stew cook for several hours, low and slow.

The shank is a tough cut of meat therefore it needs a long time to tenderize. When the shank was falling off the bone I removed it and cut off all the meat and added it back to the stew. I was surprised at the amount of meat on one shank. I  added the shank bone back and cooked the stew for a while longer. You can see the bone protruding from the liquid. Bones add quite a bit of flavor to any soup or stew so utilize them when you have the opportunity. I served the stew over rice; it was satisfying. You could also serve the stew over pasta if you prefer. Thanks for reading and for all  your comments.

7 comments:

  1. The slow cooking meat cuts are usually considerably cheaper - and often have a heap more flavour.
    I was never a fan of lamb though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, yes that is true, I find lamb to be more palatable with slow cooking

      Delete
  2. Good looking stew.
    We had the last of our lamb in a stew a few nights ago. Proge made enough to freeze half.
    We usually wait until legs go on sale, generally around Easter and by several. We then cut them up and freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, good idea about getting them on sale, I just can't figure out why they are so expensive, of course nowadays everything is expensive

      Delete
  3. Thank you Linda, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lamb, too...in all its forms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise, thanks, it was, I do love a good stew

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment