Saturday, February 8, 2020

Shrimp Enchiladas & Snow

I know it's not the most appealing looking photo (since that was my second enchilada) but the enchilada was delicious. I could have made some rice but by the time I made a double batch of enchiladas I wasn't in the mood for any more cooking. 

In the next photo see the dark brown tiny splotches? Those are smoked adobe peppers in sauce and they are definitely spicy. So if you don't want that much spice best to forgo those. Also when working with corn tortillas make sure they are steamed or at least room temperature. If they aren't they crack or split when trying to roll them.
For the shrimp mixture I sauteed half an onion, one red bell pepper, one chopped jalapeno seeded and cored, two garlic, some cumin and chili powder. Set aside and saute your shrimp barely cooked. The mixture will  go  in the over so you don't want overcooked shrimp. Chop the shrimp in bite sized pieces and add to the onion mixture. Stir in half a jar of green chili verde.

Oil the bottom of a glass baking dish and roll each corn tortilla with some of the shrimp mixture and place seam side down in the dish filling it up. Pour another jar and remaining half jar of chili verde over the top. Add cheese of your choice over the entire mixture. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Don't add the smoked adobe chilies unless you like it real spicy. They come in a small jar in the Latino food section of your grocery. They are quite tasty.
We're getting some snow this morning but it's not enough to show you a photo. Hopefully I'll have a photo next time around. I just glanced outside, here's a shot from the window. Fluffy stuff is really coming down. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

4 comments:

  1. Love the idea of shrimp enchiladas...I'd certainly have to do a different recipe to avoid the peppers. My mom's TexMex recipe had us quickly heat the tortillas on a skillet/griddle before rolling them, they'd not crack that way. Yes, you certainly did get some snow. We had it flurries all morning yesterday, but nothing stuck. Maybe this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, yes I think I should have warmed the tortillas first, made them again and they were much more pliable warmed.

      Delete
  2. You are right about the first photo. On my reader it reminded me of a used bandaid. Sorry about the grossness.
    I am so glad that the enchiladas were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, thanks, yes they photos didn't do the flavor we had justtice at all. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment