Saturday, March 21, 2020

Diet for a Small Planet, a book for yesterday and today with Yellowed & Brittle Pages

In the 1970's I worked as a waitress putting myself through college. I didn't get student loans (except one which took me 7 years to pay off) or any help from relatives; I lived on my own and paid my own way. I wasn't a hippie, although I had really long hair, but I did read lots of books from that era. Fifty or more years later those nuggets of wisdom garnered from reading are fast becoming important to keep me afloat in difficult times.
I'm not sure why I never gave away or donated my paperback book, Diet for a Small Planet, but I didn't. Lord knows I've given, sold or donated hundreds of books over the past 20 or 30 years. The book's been sitting on a shelf above my computer ever since I moved to Georgia six or more years ago. Before that it was packed away in a box all but forgotten. Today I opened up the yellowed and brittle pages and marveled at the wealth of information it contains.
I learned a myriad of things I recall to this day. One nugget particularly sticks with me, rice and beans make a complete protein. There are so many recipes in this book which can be made from non perishable foods. If you can obtain a copy of this book I highly recommend it. Be well.

9 comments:

  1. I gifted my old and well-used version to my vegetarian son as he moved out into his own life. I hope he still has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I hope he still has it too, it's a great book.

      Delete
  2. Despite the sometimes dubious benefits of 'progress' we can learn a LOT from our forbears.
    Rice and beans are in short supply in our supermarkets at the moment - but fortunately we have a supply of both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, we have a supply as well and our grocery stores are the same, but we found another store that had some looking for other items. Some books are timeless.

      Delete
  3. DH’s Red beans and rice are my very favorite meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, I like red beans and rice as well, and I hope we can get some fresh cow peas this summer.

      Delete
  4. It's great that you kept that book. Most of my books have been donated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, thanks, almost all of mine are gone too, but I am glad I kept this one.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment