Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Nature Opens, Society Closes

The lowly dandelion opens in early Spring. What a delight to see. It feeds the bees with nectar early in the season and it's edible. There is free and nutritious food growing in your yard right under your nose. I'm delighting in small things surrounding me when society, as we know it, seems to be closing down.
A pear blossom opens and hopefully is pollinated. My grocery store is out of many items but I'll make due with the hopes of pears in the summer.
My saucer magnolia is slowly opening. My electric company was closed today without notification, so must make alternative ways to pay my bill. Breathe deep, recognize, adapt, and overcome.
Peach blossoms burst open waiting for a bee to buzz by. Everything isn't peachy keen but we are supposedly the most intelligent beings on the earth and we will, in the end, prevail.
My daffodils were zapped by several frosts so they'll not show their best this year. But they're still feeding their roots and bulbs for next year. We can do the same for ourselves, our families, and our loved ones. Grow and feed your roots.

Some ideas which come to mind:
spend quality time with our family (either in person or virtually), walking out of doors, spring cleaning, outdoor projects, indoor projects, gardening, photo sorting, computer clean up, home de-cluttering, vegetable growing, teaching children self sufficiency, contacting friends and neighbors via telephone or email or social media, writing, reading, watching home movies, cooking, bread baking, recipe development, planting flowers and vegetables, learning new skills, art projects, home improvement projects, tackling deferred maintenance on home and vehicles, cleaning, washing and waxing our car, organizing our filing systems, organizing our dressers and closets. We just need to think of alternatives to our usual practices

What about you how are you coping; what are your ideas on how to utilize your time? Be well.

6 comments:

  1. I am not self-isolating, but certain self distancing. As an introvert I am perfectly happy at home and there is more than enough to keep me occupied.
    I do hope that you and yours can remain healthy, physically and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, we are only going out when we have to, had previously stocked up on food and are wearing our masks and gloves, I am sure your lovely garden is a great place to be. I mostly stay home myself normally so not that different for me.

      Delete
  2. Good advice Linda, and those are lovely flowers. Very uplifting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, we must take solace in the little things in these trying times, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for showing your blossoms. Spring is our joy these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I always look forward to Spring but this year especially with all that is going on.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment