Friday, May 8, 2020

Smoked Picnic Ham

The other day we went to Waldrep's Meat Processing in Ellijay, GA. We got a smoked picnic ham. This ham is not smoked enough to be fully cooked so it must be baked in the oven. Best ham I've ever had other than the one from Burls Country Smoke House in Hot Springs, AR. That's another story and fully cooked type of smoked ham.

Take the ham out of the refrigerator one hour before baking. Before baking make crisscross cuts in the fat on top of the ham. Preheat oven to 325 F. I made a  rub of one teaspoon of cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, dry ginger, allspice, salt, pepper and two tablespoons of brown sugar. Rub the spice sugar mixture over the whole ham. Place whole cloves randomly into the fat side of the ham. Then place pineapple slices affixing them over the top with toothpicks. 
This ham was 11 pounds so I baked it for 10 minutes per pound. With my handy instant meat thermometer I checked the internal temperature of the ham to be sure it has reached 145 F. Pour half a cup of pure maple syrup over the ham. After 10 minutes remove ham from oven. Take the toothpicks and pineapple off the ham. Let the ham rest for 15 minutes before slicing. We had the ham with broccoli and of course some of the maple pineapple. The ham was very juicy and delicious. Our freezer is now packed with enough ham for 10 meals. Plus one bone to cook with some navy beans. Be well.

10 comments:

  1. What a great looking (and I'm sure tasting) ham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, the juiciest ham we ever had, fresh must make the difference and of course the spices and pineapple and maple syrup

      Delete
  2. From that recommend, I wish I lived closer :) Great recipe, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, there may be a meat processor near you where you can get something similar; and the price was less than the local grocery store.

      Delete
  3. That looks and sounds good - though I am wary of maple syrup. It is often tooo sweet for me. Pineapple would be a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, there wasn't that much syrup to make it overly sweet; my mom used to cook ham with the cloves and pineapple slices

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness. That is beautiful, sounds so delicious and I can almost smell it! You are such a great cook! I always love having broccoli when we have ham too. In fact, just finished a baked pork chop/rice dinner that hubby cooked, broccoli as the vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara, thanks, with the bone in it was kind of a chore to cut but it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This and the pizza below both look delicious...and very tempting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, we are having smoked ham for thanksgiving this year, just put it in the oven

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment