Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Blueberry Compote

We've been picking about a gallon of blueberries every day for the past week or so. We're eating what we can and freezing the rest. We have to hide the blueberries because Bonkers, our cat, loves to play with them. If we don't hide the blueberries, Bonkers grabs one and carries it off to play with. When he loses that one he comes back for more. If they squish he doesn't eat them. We all know blueberries can leave a nearly-impossible-to-remove stain on surfaces.

Yesterday Gary picked a large colander full of blueberries. He told me he put them in the oven to keep Bonkers from getting any. Later that day, forgetting about the colander full of blueberries, I preheated the oven to cook some jalapeno poppers. When I opened the oven I saw the hot blueberries in the colander. Oh my! What was I going to do with all those hot blueberries? I decided to make a blueberry compote.
The basic recipe is 1 cup of blueberries, 2 tart green apples chopped, 1/4 onion chopped, 1 cup unsweetened apple juice, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tbs balsamic vinegar, 2 tbs butter. Adjust measurements depending on how many blueberries you have. I made a big batch since I had a large colander full of hot blueberries.

Saute the onion in butter, when the onion is translucent add the apples and cook till soft. Next add apple juice and remaining ingredients, bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes. The blueberries cause the onion and apples to turn blue. We had the compote over pork chops, it was delicious. The recipe didn't call for any sugar but next time I'll add 1/4 cup of sugar or some other type of sweetener. Hope you're safe and well.

10 comments:

  1. Definitely YUM! Ours are still hard little green balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, I can't believe how many we are getting this year. I find we can pick them with a little blush red on them, let them stay out one day and then they are perfectly ripe.

      Delete
  2. So glad that wasn't a plastic colander! Compote sounds delicious. I need to go buy some more blueberries, which are also available here...and so good to freeze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, yes lucky is was a stainless steel one.

      Delete
  3. Bonkers is a hoot! I can see you not wanting blueberries rolling all over everything. But your compote was a lucky accident! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, yes he is definitely a handful, he can smell the berries in the containers Gary picks them with and searches and searches for them relentlessly.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you were able to save the day. Cherry tomatoes are one of Jazz's weaknesses. He treats them just as Bonkers does blueberries (fortunately the stain isn't as intractible).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, thanks, oh just wait, our tomatoes aren't ready yet, but judging from last year, Bonkers loves those too, not so messy but still who wants to step on a ripe tomato on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds delicious.. I can understand not wanting the cat to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anna, thanks, unbeknownst to me he must have a piece of apple I dropped because today it reappeared in his mouth.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment