Saturday, October 3, 2020

Candy Roaster Time


This time of year the North Georgia Candy Roaster squash ripens. Gary went to the market very early this morning and bought the last one available. Only one farmer at our farmer's market grows this variety of squash and they sell out fast. The photo above is from several years ago. The one Gary got today measures 30 inches long and 8 inches in diameter. It probably weighs 30 pounds. We're going to wait till it warms up and cut it outside with a utility saw. Really, it's that big. 

I've trying to remember which recipes I used the last time I got one. I know I made a batch of soup. I also froze some that I parboiled. I remember roasting some. The North Georgia Candy Roaster squash was developed here in North Georgia specifically for the climate, but also for it's taste. As the name implies, it is a sweet squash and is supposedly even better than pumpkin for pies. It is filled with seeds like a pumpkin is. I'll probably roast the seeds. Hum, maybe I can make some Candy Roaster pudding. We shall see.

I'm hoping to be able to get a camera before too long. Preferably before all the leaves start to change color for Autumn. In other news, we've discovered something about Bonkers, he likes bran cereal for breakfast but it has to have milk on it. Now waiting for an up date from President Trump's doctor. Wishing he and Melania and all others with covid virus get well quickly. Of course well wishes to all those who've lost loved ones to the virus from this pandemic.

Be Safe, Be Well

9 comments:

  1. Linda, have never heard of candy roaster squash. Reminds me of the cotton candy grapes... which I only discovered about a year ago at Central Market. They really taste like cotton candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, if you want some seeds let me know I'll send you some after I dry them.

      Delete
  2. I had also never heard of Candy Roaster squash. I wonder whether it is available here - and suspect not.
    And of course Bonkers wants milk to wash his cereal down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, if you want some seeds let me know I'll send you some after I dry them.

      Delete
  3. Candy Roaster sounds really interesting. I wonder if you could grow your own from saved seeds.
    I like to roast sash before I purée and freeze. I think roasting gives it a deeper flavor. Then too if the oven timer goes off and I can’t get to it, it’s okay.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, if you want some seeds let me know I'll send you some after I dry them.

      Delete
  4. I wish Donald Trump, Melania and all others who are suffering from Covid-19 the very best.

    I am disgusted by all the nasty comments that have come...still come...from certain quarters being tossed in the President's direction. No matter what side of the political fence one sits on...the President is the leader of the free world...of the Western world. What is wrong with people these days? Nastiness is spreading faster than any pandemic!

    I've not heard of a Candy Roaster before, either. It is similar, by the looks of it, to our Butternut pumpkin/squash. I do love pumpkin soup!

    My two furry rascals don't drink milk...but they do love their water! Sitting on OUR bedside table, permanently, is their large glass filled with water. (I'm the one who has to keep topping it up, though...of course!)

    Take good care, Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lee, thanks, if you want some seeds let me know I'll send you some after I dry them. I am surprised at your glass of water I try to keep glass containers from Bonkers because he keeps moving them to get them to move to and fro which often leads to the container on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s fascinating Linda, I have never heard of this type of squash before. Sounds so good. I love any squash and am cooking a butternut squash in a soup right now. The smell is wonderful! I hope you get your camera soon. This certainly would be a great time of the year to have one. Bonkers sounds so cute! This Covid is scary. We have had at one friend who succumbed to it, heartbreaking for all those who have lost people, and have just learned of a family member in a different state who is very ill right now. I wish for everyone to stay safe from this terrible virus. You stay safe too along with all your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment