Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Candied Pecans

 

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Love that phrase from an infamous candy bar (almond joy) jingle. I finally received the pecan nut sheller I ordered. It definitely works much better than traditional nut crackers for chopping pecans. The idea is the pointy side of the pecan is the easiest part to crack. The pecan is placed in the chopper lengthwise when the handle is depressed it exerts pressure on the ends of the pecans. Most pecans crack with half shells intact.

To test the new nut chopper Gary chopped two cups of pecans for me. He hasn't made a dent in the 10 pounds of pecans. I decided to make some candied pecans. Preheat an oven to 350 F. On the stovetop melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large non stick frying pan then add the nuts. Toss the pecans in the butter and cook them for three minutes. Add 1/4 cup of brown sugar and toss the pecans. Next add 1/8 cup of water,  1/8 teaspoon of salt, and a dash of cinnamon. If you prefer leave out the cinnamon. Cook the pecan mixture in the pan for another two minutes. Last add one teaspoon of vanilla extract and remove pan from the heat.

Place nuts on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer and bake in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Let the pecans cool completely on the baking sheet. Oh my these pecans are so delicious. Update: I found the recipe does better if beaten egg whites are used to coat the nuts. I also tried walnuts, works for those as well.

Be Safe, Be Well

6 comments:

  1. Hooray for a gadget which does what it promises. So many don't.
    Best of all I like my nuts raw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I do like my nuts raw and they are definitely better for us that way, but since I had an abundance I thought I'd try a variation out.

      Delete
  2. We love pecans, Linda. I may have to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, Gary liked them and I was half thinking of making some to sell but as usual the details of doing a food based idea are cumbersome and not cost effective.

      Delete
  3. I'm never without my large jar filled with raw mixed nuts. I'm too lazy to candy any...but I do sometimes roast and boil peanuts! :)

    Take good care, Linda...I hope all is well with you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee, thanks, that's usually what I have on hand for years but I thought I'd give it a try. I have never tried boiled peanuts even though they are ever so popular here in the Southern USA where they are grown. Gary likes roasted peanuts but they are more fattening and don't have the same nutrients that tree nuts do so I try to discourage him from eating them. But raw nuts are the best for our health I think.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment