Thursday, July 15, 2021

My Garden is Wild Now

My garden is wild now since I can't keep up with maintenance for various reasons. All my plants have matured into what they like to be, much like me. Most of my herbs are in containers due to poor rocky soil. When it rains the ground is too saturated to keep the herbs healthy. My dill is in bloom and the bright yellow flowers contrast nicely with the green foliate. I tried pinching off the flowers to harvest more greenery but the dill knows when it wants to bloom and it has finally won.

The bee balm has spread throughout the perennial garden and has all but pushed the others aside. In California I grew bee balm in raised beds so never knew it's habit of spreading. No matter the hummingbirds are very thankful.

The crocosmia is on the other side of the garden path so it has escaped the bee balm take over. Most of it's blooms have gone now.

In previous years I could gather a mixed bouquet, now most bouquets are one note.
Rudbeckia or brown eyed susan has an electric yellow color which contrasts nicely with the bee balm so that's a welcome sight. 

I've been in the studio almost daily and with left over clay I've been making some pinch pots. I pinch and smooth with my fingers and sometimes use the back of a wooden spoon to paddle the outer surface. I used a texture stamp just below the rim on the inside and bottom. I also used a small round dowel to press the rim making them look like a pie crust. Folks seem to like my pinch pots because I have sold all the ones I had. Above is the very first pinch pot I ever made; that was back in 2008. Time passes by so quickly. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

5 comments:

  1. It's great to see the bounty of summer, and all those blooms. Keep on pinching those cute little pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, my hands seem to like pinching so I keep going back to it.

      Delete
  2. Loving your garden - and understand only too well how easily they get away.
    Love your work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, getting away is correct, thanks about my work.

      Delete
  3. It is lovely. Sometimes wild is better.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment