Sunday, June 19, 2022

No Bake Blueberry Pie - Gluten Free

We've been inundated with blueberries this year. I am not complaining. Gary has been picking at least 4 pints a day for the past 20 days. That's a lot of blueberries. Our second upright small freezer is now full of frozen blueberries. Before the end of the season, I wanted to make something with the fresh blueberries; I decided to make a blueberry pie. It's been years since I made a pie. Having to be gluten free the prospect of learning how to make a gluten free crust seemed daunting to me. I decided to get a store-bought graham cracker crust and concentrate on the filling.

Of course, we couldn't wait to take a nice photo of the whole pie, we dug right in. For the recipe I used 4-3/4 cups of fresh blueberries. 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 3/4 cup white sugar, zest and juice of one lemon, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons of corn starch, 1/4 cup of water.

Add 4 cups of blueberries, (reserve 3/4 cup of blueberries for the top of the pie), sugar, lemon juice and zest to a medium non-reactive saucepan. Cook till sugar is melted, Next add water mixed with corn starch to the pan along with the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and butter. Over medium heat cook blueberry mixture till it starts to boil and thicken. Cook for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature. When cool pour into store-bought pie crust, top with reserved fresh blueberries, cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours then slice and serve with a dollop of whipped cream. Oh, brother this was a really, really good pie. Not overly sweet with the added lemon and spices which enhance the blueberries.

3 comments:

  1. It looks and sounds good, but I like my fruit best raw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I do too but our freezer is full and I didn't want them to go bad before using them so I splurged a bit, lol

      Delete
  2. Blueberries are considered superfood. Sadly we don't have optimal growing conditions for them, so we rely on import. The price is not for everyone's pocket.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment