Thursday, July 21, 2022

Spicy Pickled Okra

)
2 pounds of okra (approximate)
2 cups water
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup vinegar (5%)
3 tbs turbinado sugar (what I had on hand)
3 tbs kosher salt
5 garlic cloves sliced (1 for each jar)
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped fine
1 tbs black peppercorns
2 tbs dill seeds
1 tbs cumin seeds (what I had on hand)
1 tbs fennel seeds (what I had on hand)
1 tbs turmeric powder

I divided the okra into two sizes, small and medium. I cut the stems of the okra if they were too long but leave a quarter inch of stem; otherwise, the brine will become cloudy with the okra slime. I sterilized 7-pint jars lids and rings but ended up making 5 pints. Place jalapeno pepper divided evenly in each jar. Mix seeds, black peppercorns, and turmeric together and evenly distribute into each jar. Add the sliced garlic clove into each jar. Stuff the okra into each jar with the stem side up; really pack them in tight.

Confessions of an errant cook. I chopped fine one celery stalk and one carrot stalk which I put in the bottom of the jars, but now realize I should have put them in the boiling brine rather than dry into the jars. Next time. Meanwhile boil the water, vinegars, sugar and salt for at least one minute to be sure sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour the brine over each jar of okra and fill to within 1/2 inch. If you run out of brine, boil more vinegar and add that in. Place the lids and rings on the jars. Either water bath for 10 minutes or when cool refrigerate them. Hopefully these will be tasty, and they'll be gone in no time. They will store in the fridge for several months or a minimum of one year if waterbath processed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment