Monday, December 26, 2022

A Burnt Offering !

 

Perhaps you follow along with my blog and assume every recipe I make turns out perfectly. Not so. I made some oven roasted onion rings for a green bean medly and they turned out perfect. Gary doesn't really like onions but I love them. The onions were so delicious I decided to make some more onions for myself just as a snack. I was so looking forward to munching on the onions. Below is what they should have looked like.

I learned recently on a cooking show using baking soda encourages acidic ingredients to brown much easier. So I tossed my thinly sliced onions in olive oil, then in baking soda and tapioca flour the next time. Less then 10 minutes later Gary said "something is burning". The previous onions took almost half an hour to even get slightly crispy like the ones above I put over the green beans. I opened the oven door to a burnt offering ! (the first photo)

When cooking meals, one must take the bad with the good. Dare I try another batch of these or should I quit while I am ahead? I think I better wait for another day for more experiments. These onions are almost like getting a lump of coal in my stocking. The whole house smells of burnt onions. Anyway the green beans, mushrooms and onions were good even if the yogurt sauce broke. Happy Holidays to you all.

2 comments:

  1. If truth be told, all of us make similar errors. Happy holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment