Saturday, December 31, 2022

Foodland Smoked Ham Hocks


I wanted to make Hoppin' John for our New Years day meal
because it's a Southern tradition steeped in history.
According to legend Hoppin John brings good luck the whole new year.
We found some beautiful smoked ham hocks at Foodland Grocery.
No local grocery had ham hocks except Foodland here in Blairsville.
(note on the package they are only partially cooked).
Today I also noticed Foodland has fresh collard greens.
I'm pre-cooking the ham hocks in preparation for the Hoppin' John.
I have the ham hocks simmering in water with onion and bay leaves.
It will take approximately 2-3 hours to get them softened up
so I can remove the meat from the bone.
My whole house smells like smoked ham hocks.
Even though I just ate, I'm now hungry for you know what.
Stay tuned for the Hoppin John recipe.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think we have a traditional New Year's Day meal. Enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I just became aware of this rendition

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment