Monday, December 12, 2022

GF Greek Wedding Cookies, Italian Almond Crescents, Russian Tea Cookies ?

GF Greek Wedding Cookies, Italian Almond Crescents, Russian Tea Cookies? No matter what you call these cookies, all are a variation of the same recipe. I'd gladly walk miles for just one cookie; literally a melt in your mouth delight. Don't leave these cookies on the countertop because they'll disappear before you know it.

With a handheld mixer (that's what I use, you may use a stand alone mixer), cream one cup of softened unsalted butter. Add 1/2 cup of powedered sugar and cream till well blended and light and fluffy. Add two teaspoons of real vanilla extract. Mix till just blended. Next add two cups of 1:1 gluten free flour a little at a time and half a teaspoon of salt. Blend till dough just comes together. With a rubber spatula blend in 2/3 cup of chopped medium fine pecans, almonds, or walnuts till the nuts are just incorporated. Put dough in the refrigerator for about half an hour. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 350 F and prepare a parchment lined baking sheet.

By spoonfuls roll refrigerated dough into rounds or shape into crescent shapes and place on the parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, watch very closely.  They should just start to be getting brown on the bottom edges. Immediately remove from the oven and off the cookie sheet onto a drying rack to cool. Be careful in transferring the cookies because they are extremely crumbly when warm. Allow cookies to cool, then roll/dust/dip in powdered sugar. 

Years ago I made these cookies before I was gluten free. I learned to make the cookies from my mother and aunt. We always had them at special occasions or at the holidays. I can't remember the last time I had these cookies, probably more than 20 years ago. Now that I am once again able to eat these cookies I am in heaven, much like Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong singing Cheek to Cheek, I'm in Heaven. They are messy to eat due to their crumbly nature, and the powdered sugar dropping, but worth every bit of the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment