Thursday, December 29, 2022

Parsley Cilantro Pesto


After all the rich holiday food I had a craving for greens.
I decided to make Parsley Cilantro Pesto.
Yes parsley and cilantro are greens and very nutritious.
Click links to see the vitamins & minerals in these herbs.
If you don't like cilantro just use parsley,
but before you decide read how nutritious cilantro is.

Give a rough chop to one bunch of parlsey anda bunch of cilantro.
Micrograte two garlic cloves, that's the grater there in the photo.
Measure two tablespoons of lemon juice.
(Don't omit the lemon juice, it keeps the pesto nice and green).
(I used bottled juice because one lemon would be too much)

Put 1/2 cup extra virgen olive oil in blender.
(Use more or less olive oil depending upon the amount of herbs).
Add the grated garlic and lemon juice.
Then add the chopped parsley and cilantro on top.
Whirl till well blended, stopping to push down herbs with a spatula.

You can sprinkle chopped nuts and/or grated cheese
over the top of pasta just before serving.
Extra pesto freezes better without the nuts or cheese.
You can use either pinenuts, walnuts, or other nuts you prefer.
Use either grated parmesan or asiago or ? cheese of your choice.
I used gluten free bowtie or farfalle noodles;
they seem to hold the pesto quite nicely in their grooves.

Guess what I used to texture this vase I made years ago?
You guessed it, a bowtie noodle, ha, ha!
My kitchen and my pottery studio frequently overlap.

This recipe made enough pesto for one more batch.
You can keep pesto in fridge for a few days or freeze for later use.
Pesto made in less than half an hour, both nutritious and filling.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I adore pesto. But will pass on adding cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I looked up why some folks don't like cilantro and apparently it's in the DNA, who knew

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment