Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Poached Pompano


If you want perfectly cooked fish you can't go wrong with poaching
and this Poached Pompano is no exception.

Here's what my ceramic fish poacher looks like.
It is unglazed on the outside but glazed on the inside.
Place ceramic bakers in a cold oven to avoid thermal shock.
I started steaming wild rice since it takes 45 minutes.

Rinse your fish and pat dry then sprinkle with salt and pepper
on both sides and inside the body cavity.

I brushed olive oil on the the inside and lid of my ceramic poacher.
I sauteed one stalk of celery chopped fine, one red pepper chopped,
and one shallot chopped fine, in that order.


Put the sauteed vegetables in the bottom of the poacher
and place the whole pompano fish on top.
I poured 1 cup of orange juice into poacher,
then I also added one cup of dry white wine.
Next I added a tablespoon of fish sauce, worchestershire sauce,
tomato paste, and soy sauce, one teaspoon of sesame oil,
a few drops of hot sauce, sprinkled a tablespoon of dried thyme,
and parsley flakes and salt and pepper.
I rubbed the top of the fish with one inch grated fresh ginger, 
then lastly, I added sliced crimini mushrooms over the top.
Bake in a cold over set to 400 F. Ceramic is subject to
thermal shock so with ceramic alwasy start with a cold oven.
Poach for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not over cook.

Remove fish from poacher and remove bone to serve.
Grab fish by head with a pot holder and
pull head towards the body cavity and hopefully
all the bones along with spine will come out.
All the vegetables and juices make for a tasty sauce
over the top of the fish and the wild rice.
Fish poached this way always turns out delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment