Thursday, December 15, 2022

Tzatziki

 

What is Tzatziki? It's a Southeast European or Middle Eastern dip, sauce, soup, or salad, It can be served as a dip or sauce alongside eggplant, zucchini or meat dishes. This dish has it's roots in Greece, Turkey and Persia. It is made with cucumber and yogurt with additions of some herbs and garlic. The cooling effect tzatziki has lends itself to be served with spicy foods. Above I am eating the tzatziki with some gluten free blue corn chips.

Grate one English cucumber with the skin. Don't use a cucumber which has the skin waxed.

Drain grated cucumber on a cotton tea towel, squeezing out the excess water. I got two tea towels at a yard sale about three years ago and they are 100 % cotton. I've used paper towels before but the grated cucumber really sticks to the paper towels. You can also salt the cucumber and drain in a colander but I think the tea towel works better. After draining/squeezing, place grated cucumber in a bowl.

Micro-mince two fresh garlic cloves (I used three and Gary said it was too much garlic), 1 teaspoon of fresh or dried dill (you can use mint, oregano, parsley or whatevere herb you prefer fresh or dried), 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, salt and pepper. Last fold in one cup of Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is thicker than regular yogurt so much better to use for tzatziki.

I've made tzatziki without the cucumber peel before but I think it's better with the texture and color of the skin in the sauce. Serve with chips, bread, or alongside eggplant or spicy meat dishes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Not for me because I dislike cucumber. I do love middle eastern flavours though.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment