Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Rabbit Stew

This week Rabbit Stew is warming us on these cold winter days.
(This rabbit is sustainably farm raised. not wild rabbit).
Start by cutting your rabbit into serving sized pieces,
removing front and back legs, cutting loin in several pieces
as well as the rib cage and the back portion
Salt and pepper both sides of your rabbit pieces.

Pat dry your rabbit portions and
dredge the pieces in flour on both sides and set aside.
In a stovetop proof deep casserole dish brown your rabbit pieces.
I am using a vintage corning ware casserole dish.
Set rabbit pieces aside to rest.
Meanwhile render 4 cut up slices of bacon.

Add and brown 3 cut up stalks of celery and 3 carrots to the bacon.
Add one container of vegetable or chicken stock, @ 32 oz.
Add two shallots cut up, I also added some green beans I had.
Put your browned rabbit back into the stew mixture,
making sure rabbit is submerged in broth, add water if need be.
Add thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.
Cover casserole dish and let rabbit simmer away.
Rabbit will take approximately 1 1/2 hours to become tender.
(Wild caught rabbit may take longer to become tender).
Towards the end of cooking add about
10 quartered button mushrooms and cook till tender.
In the first photo I've served the rabbit over smashed potatoes.
This is the second day eating this delicious rabbit stew.
Some hearty bread would be good with this stew
to sop up all the flavorful broth.
Or you could serve the stew over rice or pasta.
One or two more days and the stew will be long gone.
Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. this one is emphatically not for me. Growing up, when times were tough my father went hunting. And we ate rabbit. My mother was a very good cook but rabbit is irrevocably linked to tough times for me. (And I no longer eat meat anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, my mom used to make chicken neck spaghetti to stretch the budget, I'd still eat it as the necks have a lot of flavor

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment