Monday, December 19, 2022

Duck a l'Orange

 

Duck al'Orange, a classic dish, didn't disappoint.
I should have sliced it for presentaiton but hunger got in the way.
Trust me it was perfectly medium rare and very tender. 
I started by baking my potatoes tossed in olive oil in a 350 F oven.
I cut up my french green beans getting them ready to steam.
Let your duck breasts come to room temperature.
With a sharp knife crisscross score the fat side of the breast.
Salt and pepper both sides of the duck.
When potatoes are nearly done begin steaming your green beans.
Grate a tablespoon of orange zest and chop a shallot fine.
Reserve the garlic clove for the duck breast saute.
(not sure how that green bean got in there, lol)
Saute chopped shallot, add orange zest from two oranges,
1 cup of orange juice, and one tablespoon of white suger,
 when caramelized, add a little liquor to deglaze, I used some tequila.
I added a teaspoon of corn starch mixed with water to thicken sauce.
When potatoes, green beans and sauce are ready,
start searing the duck breasts in medium hot pan, fat side down.
Add the minced garlic and spoon baste the the top side of the breast.
Fat side should take about 10 minutes to brown and render the fat.

Searing the other side of the duck should take less then 5 minutes
to bring duck breast to an internal temperature of 135 F.
Let duck breast rest while plating the potatoes and green beans.
Serve duck atop a bed of fresh orange slices topped with orange sauce.
The duck turned out just like a gourmet restaurant meal.
Crispy on the outside and medium rare on the inside.
I've never made duck a l'orange before. 
If I can cook duck a l'orange, you can too,
Go for it, get creative, experiment. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, it seems I've gone off on a culinary tangent rather than pottery

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment