Friday, January 13, 2023

Venison Roast

 
Finished cooking a venison roast gifted to us.
The roast section is cut from the shoulder or haunch
which has a lot of connective tissue so slow cooking
is essential to ensure a tender piece of meat.
Six hours at 300 F and the roast was tender and juicy.
I should have made some bread sticks to mop up the gravy.
I floured the surface of the meat then browned it
in a bit of olive oil in my vintage corningware casserole.
I set the meat aside while I chopped some vegetables.
I sauteed onions, celery, and carrots about 1.5 cups each.
I placed half a raw onion in the bottom of the casserole
to hold the meat up off the bottom.
Next I added the browned meat topped with 3 slices of bacon.
Venison has very little fat so bacon is added for moisture and flavor.
Then I placed all the sauteed vegetables surrounding the meat.
I poured in two cups of dry red wine and 32 oz of stock and spices.
I covered the casserole and placed it in 300 F oven.
Now I let the oven do the work.

Thirty minutes before meat is done I added 3 chopped potatoes.
After six hours of cooking the meat is falling-off-the-bone tender.
Here are all the vegetables after I removed the meat.
I might have a little bit of scrubbing to do on the casserole.
We'll be eating venison roast and vegetables for several days.
There are very few predators for deer since
mountian lions and wolves were descimated by humans.
Hunting helps keep the herds to sustainable healthy levels.
Thankful for folks who like to hunt and gave us the venison.

2 comments:

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment