Saturday, January 14, 2023

GF Breadsticks - Test Number Three

 

Welcome to my test kitchen. I've made these gf breadsticks several times and they've always been delicious. But I wanted to perfect the recipe so the seeds adhered to the breadsticks much better and the breadsticks were a little more brown. Tonight I succeeded in that goal.

To enhance browning I added half a teaspoon of baking soda to the dough. To help the seeds stick to the breadsticks I mixed one teaspoon of honey with one teaspoon of water and brushed the breadsticks with that mixture. Then I sprinkled the seeds onto the breadsticks and spritzed the seeds with a mist of plain water. In previous tests I used an egg wash, an olive oil wash, and no wash. This time I mixed up an "everything bagel" seed mixture to sprinkle on the breadsticks. The mixture consisted of a teaspoon each of black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, caraway seeds, poppy seeds, and half a teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, and sea salt.

This batch of breadsticks were baked at 425 F for 15 minutes without parchment paper which I had ran out of. Next time I'll turn down the heat to 410 F since they are a tad more brown than I prefer. I'm here to attest recipe development definitely takes time and is not an easy task.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I made them yesterday and just used water and the seeds stuck the best so far.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment