Thursday, February 2, 2023

Water Chestnut Curry

Sometimes I get a strong craving for particular ingredients. Curry is often a flavor I crave. I'm sure my body is telling me I need the benefits curry spices provide. Today I decided to make water chestnut curry.  Water chestnuts are not a nut and they grow in water. Water chestnuts have vitamins, minerals, and fiber but have a rather bland taste. If you use water chestnuts in a curry then bland is tossed by the wayside. Yes, I should have sprinkled some cilantro leaves on top, please use your imagination.

1 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp fenugreek seed (soak for 12-24 hours beforehand)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1 shallot chopped fine
1 inch fresh ginger minced
4 garlic cloves minced
few dashes of hot sauce or a hot pepper minced very fine
1 tbs brown suger
juice of half a lime
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbs butter
3 cans of sliced water chestnuts drained
1 cup Greek yogurt and dash of milk if mixture is too thick
1 cup of cooked brown rice (you can use white rice if you prefer)

Bloom first eight spices in a dry non stick pan on medium heat till they begin to release their fragrance (about three minutes). Put spices in a mortar and pestle and grind till fine. Saute shallot and ginger in a dash of olive oil and add minced garlic at the end of cooking for one minute. Add bloomed spices to pan and stir till mixture is combined and add in two tablespoons of butter for flavor.

I wanted something warm, comforting and slightly spicey. The beauty of water chestnuts is they remain crunchy even when cooked. This hits the spot. You could make this same dish with potatoes instead of sliced water chestnuts. Also if you don't like a tangy curry omit the Greek yogurt and substitute 3/4 cup regular yogurt or 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Oh so delicious. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Great selection of spices. They might even let me tolerate water chestnuts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I find water chestnuts haven't much flavor on their own, mostly water, lol

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment