Saturday, July 15, 2023

Mourning Dove in the Morning


By Hunter Craig - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0

I was just venturing out the screen porch to the deck and
I look down and see two mourning dove
walking along the pathway below looking for seeds.
I stop instantly and go back closing the screen door quietly.
I know it will be extremely hot today;
I want them to have the luxury of the cool morning to eat their fill.

Mourning dove calls are mesmerizing
 and their whistling wing sound when they take off is sublime.
Mourning doves are generally monogamous
and both parents incubate and care for the young.
They have two young per brood
but can have up to six broods per year.
If you have time look for a youtube video of this dove
and have a listen to the cooing and wing sounds.
Enjoy !

1 comment:


  1. As you know, birds fascinate me. We have some wing whirrers too.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment