Sunday, July 16, 2023

Tomato Harvest & Jam


Tomato Harvest & Jam

This is two days tomato harvest; aren't they beauties? I thought I'd make some tomato jam; I never have before. Here is a recipe I found in the NYT:

1-1/2 pounds of tomatoes roughly chopped
(recipe calls for all roma tomatoes but I'll use what I have)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice (or vinegar or lemon juice)
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced

I might reduce the amount of sugar since I am using part small tomatoes, hope it thickens. In a non-reactive sauce pan, bring all ingredients to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for one hour and fifteen minutes till thick. Adjust seasoning. Cool, place in a glass jar and refrigerate. Jam will keep for one week. I'll make this today; we shall see. Enjoy summer's bounty.

1 comment:

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment