Monday, January 15, 2024

Leftover Fish Soup with Oysters

 
Leftover Fish Soup with Oysters

I was going to make an oyster stew but I had left over snapper and the vegetables the snapper was cooked on, so I decided to make Leftover Fish Soup with Oysters.

1 yellow onion chopped fine
2 tablespoons of olive or avocado oil
2 stalks celery chopped into bite sized pieces
2 carrots chopped chopped into bite sized pieces
1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper chopped into bite sized pieces
3 medium yellow potatoes chopped into bite sized pieces
1 jar of clam juice
the liquor (liquid) from 2-8 ounce cans oysters (reserve oysters)
4 cups of water
1 bunch of flat leaf parsley chopped fine (had to use it up)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons of dry sherry
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of fish sauce
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 to 3/4 cup left over baked fish of your choice
vegetables used under the baked fish

In a medium to large stock pot add oil and sauté onions till translucent, add celery and cook till soft, then add carrots and peppers. Add the clam juice and water, then the liquor (liquid) from the canned oysters. Keep the oysters to use at the end otherwise they will be tough and or mushy. Add in all the herbs and seasonings. Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes till all the vegetables are soft.

At this point I turn off the heat and add the precooked fish and vegetables from the previous day. Let the soup cool and refrigerate it till the next day. I keep the oysters in a separate bowl in the fridge. The next day I take the soup out and warm it slowly. Turn off the heat to the soup and remove from the burner. Last I chop the oysters in half and add them to the soup which is off the heat. The soup warms the oysters sufficiently. We'll be eating this soup all week long. If we get tired of it I can always freeze some. Soups are a good way to use leftovers. That's why I added so much parsley because I had an over abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment